Kids Around the World: Tanzania

A couple weeks ago, my class studied kids around the world - we learned about different cultures, looked at maps, and learned how to say "friend" in different languages!
My cooperating teacher had me completely take over for the two days I was there (I was doing my practicum this semester so I was in a preschool Mondays and Wednesdays) so I talked about Tanzania.



Monday: Introduction
On Monday we read the book Elizabeti's School about a girl's first day of school in Tanzania. The story talks about how she gets to school and what she does there, so we completed a chart, comparing our school culture to hers. (I loved this activity because they used their prior knowledge and could show what they learned from the book. The kids loved it, too and it was easy to include everyone since kids could use pictures if they couldn't verbalize their ideas.)
Morning class's and Afternoon class's charts

Wednesday: Letter Writing
We did an art activity to go along with the book (we made drums like the kids in the book used during recess!), but my favorite part of the week was on Wednesday... I showed the classes some pictures from an organization I have connections to called Asante Sana for Education (it's an amazing organization that builds schools in Tanzania and you should check them out!) that recently built a new preschool! We looked at pictures and talked about what we noticed (their class was smaller, they had centers, and they had some of the same books as us!) and what questions we had.
Then the class wrote a letter together on chart paper, which is in the process of being sent (in email form) to Tanzania! We told the class what we learned in school and what we played, and asked them questions as well. Hopefully we'll hear back soon!


What do you do to help teach your classes about kids around the world? Try looking into different google classrooms or other ways to partner with international schools, write a letter, or even skype! It really helps the kids to connect with the material!



Thanks to Ashley at Asante Sana for being so helpful and connecting me with the BEE Montessori School in Tanzania!
Updates to come!


Comments