Attending the NAEYC Conference


Guess who attended the NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) Annual Conference this year and presented her thesis!!!! Me!!!!




Tuesday

My first time being on a plane in probably 14 years... I was terrified. But I survived and so here are some fun pictures and stories from my trip!



I found these cute luggage tags online :)


 We were tourists and took lots of pictures of our hotel and pretty much everything...
We went out to dinner at a cute sporty pub thing and got settled in... after lots of problems with rooming. We were supposed to have two rooms with two beds each and one room with one bed. They gave us the opposite. Then the person working the desk was really nice and helped us out and rearranged rooms BUT THEN we got to our room which had not been cleaned - there was garbage everywhere and it was gross. So then we got switched to another room (even though she said they didn't have another two bedroom room available??) Anyways, I ended up rooming with the two teachers who came on the trip who were super nice and the other girls shared a room.




Wednesday

Day 2 in Atlanta was our first day attending the conference. I went to an amazing session about gender in the classroom, and though LGBTQIA+ is kinda my thing, I did get some stuff out of it - including a very long list of books!


This was also the day I presented my thesis!
I gave a round table presentation and then was part of a panel of "play experts". Future video/blog post about my thesis is in the works! But anyways, it went really well! Everyone at my table was really impressed by my study and thought I was a doctoral candidate... so that was cool.




Thursday


Look I made a necklace :)

Day 3 was another day of sessions, and I continued to learn a lot. I also went to the Expo and got LOTS of free swag and talked to representatives from different companies, like Starfall.

My fellow researchers I was traveling with and I took a picture at KinderCare's flower garden. My sign says "I teach because children are our future."

Probably my favorite session though, was with Mr. B - about using hip-hop in the classroom! I learned so much AND I got a free CD so guess what I'm doing in my future classroom all the time...

Later, we went to dinner at a pub and because we had so many people we split up so I got to sit with the grownups.



Want to know more about my trip? Check out part 2 of this blog post here!



Comments