Showing Rainbow Pride at School


Shaking up my school today!

❤️
A student who always has different colored hair told me he was planning on dying it rainbow soon. When he came in yesterday with a rainbow mohawk, I told him we could match on Friday and it would be so cute (I ended up doing it early for reasons that will be evident).
We left it at that and moved on with our days.
๐Ÿงก
Later in the day, the social worker told me that he had this child in his Social Emotional Learning special and asked about his hair ("taking an educated guess"). The child then told him he had dyed it for Pride month.
๐Ÿ’›
This led to a class conversation about identity. Apparently it went really well and everyone was respectful, asked questions, and had good things to say and shared a lot about themselves and their families.
๐Ÿ’š
I wasn't there, but had spoken with the social worker about how to tackle these topics as it's something I'm very passionate about so he wanted to share this with me.
๐Ÿ’™
I have been sharing book recommendations and such recently with him and recently got my hands on a copy of The GayBC's at @bookcon . I offered it to the classroom teacher to share with the class if he wants, but I'm not sure that he will actually read it.
๐Ÿ’œ
Either way, today I decided to let my kids know they have a safe person to talk to about these things. They have someone who loves them no matter what. My school has a lot of work to do on the topic of inclusion (I've spoken with admin and we are making some big changes next year) but if I can provide a sense of safety and worth to my students, I've done my job.

๐Ÿ–ค



To see this post on Facebook, click here. To see this post on Instagram, click here.

How are you showing students you support them?

Comments